9.26.13 Eat Cake
Oh, did I mention there's a bunch of zucchini in there?
Have a beautiful weekend! xo
P.S. The camera came back from the Nikon repair shop, a month and $500 later, in the exact same (broken) condition as when we sent it there. Infinitely enfuriating. (Perfect zucchini-wringing fodder.) So back it went. More bad pictures coming your way. Sorry.
Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- — 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used C4C gluten-free mix)
- — 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted, and more for greasing pan
- — 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- — 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- — 1/4 teaspoon anise seeds
- — 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom, divided
- — 1 teaspoon sea salt
- — 2 medium zucchini (about 1 pound total)
- — 3 large eggs
- — 1 1/2 cups organic cane sugar
- — 1 teaspoon grated orange zest, divided
- — 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- — 4 ounces whole milk cream cheese, softened
- — 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- — 3/4 cup organic powdered sugar
- — 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- — 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- — pinch sea salt
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Brush a 6-cup bundt pan with butter, and dust with flour, tapping out excess (or do the same with two loaf pans). Whisk together flour, baking powder, spices and salt.
Grate zucchini on the large holes of a box grater, or in your food processor, then squeeze dry in a clean kitchen towel. (You need about 2 1/2 cups.)
Stir together eggs and sugar, then stir in melted butter, zucchini, and 1/2 teaspoon orange zest and juice. Stir in flour mixture. Transfer batter to pan.
Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour (cake will rise quite a bit but should not run over). Transfer pan to a wire rack, and let cake cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges of cake to loosen, and turn out onto wire rack. Let cool for at least 30 minutes.
To make the frosting, beat cream cheese and butter in medium bowl with an electric mixer. Beat in sugar, vanilla, remaining 1/2 teaspoon orange zest, cardamom and salt. Chill.
Frost cake generously with cream cheese frosting.
*Unglazed cake can be stored at room temperature, wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to 1 day, or frozen for up to 1 month.