12.30.09 Asian Avian
Asian Chicken & Rice
- — 1 tablespoon olive oil
- — salt and pepper
- — 2 chicken thighs
- — 2 chicken drumsticks
- — 2 chicken wings (optional)
- — 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- — 1 2-inch knob of ginger, sliced into coins
- — 2 shallots, minced
- — 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- — 1 teaspoon tumeric
- — 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- — 1 cup short-grain rice (I use arborio or calasparra)
- — about 4 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- — 1/2 fresh lemon
Heat olive oil in a large heavy pot over high heat. Season chicken all over with salt and pepper and place in pot, skin side down. Brown chicken well on skin side, about 6 minutes. Remove to a plate.
Lower heat to medium and, in the same pan, sauté ginger, shallots, garlic and turmeric, about 3 minutes. Add fish sauce and uncooked rice and toss to coat well, about 1 minute. Return chicken to the pan, browned side up.
Pour in 2 cups chicken stock and raise heat to bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cover partially, stirring occasionally to make sure rice doesn’t stick. Add the rest of the stock as rice absorbs the liquid.
When chicken is cooked through and rice begins to break down a bit, after about 35 minutes, the dish is ready. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and taste for seasoning; you may want to add a bit of salt.