8.17.09 Killer Pickled Okra
Please read carefully and follow the instructions for water-bath canning
- — 2 cups organic apple cider vinegar
- — 1/4 cup kosher salt
- — 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- — 2 teaspoons dill seeds
- — 4 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- — 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- — 4 small dried chiles (I like chile de arbol)
- — 2 pounds young, small-to-medium okra pods
- — 2 cups water
Wash the okra and trim the stems to ½”.
Place 1 chile, ½ teaspoon mustard seeds, ½ teaspoon dill seeds, 1 clove of garlic and ¼ teaspoon peppercorns in the bottom of each of 4 sterilized pint canning jars. Divide the okra evenly among the 4 jars, standing them up vertically, alternating stems up and down.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the salt, vinegar and water to a boil. Once boiling, pour this mixture over the okra in the jars, leaving space between the top of the liquid and the lid. Seal the lids. Follow canning instructions (see link above).
Let these sit for a couple of weeks before you break them out. I like them cold, so refrigerate first if you do, too.