7.30.09 Jammed Up
Spicy Tomato Jam
- — 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- — 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- — 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- — 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- — 1 tablespoon diced crystallized ginger
- — 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- — 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- — 1 cup sugar
- — 1 1/2 pounds good ripe tomatoes (Roma are best), cored and coarsely chopped
- — 1 teaspoon salt
- — 1 generous pinch red pepper flakes
- — 1 jalapeño or other spicy pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced
Combine ingredients in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.
Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture has consistency of thick jam (about 1 hour 15 minutes).
Taste and adjust seasoning, then cool and refrigerate until ready to use. Will keep several weeks or more (but you'll eat it all before then). Or, you can process in a water bath. For canning instructions, go here.