12.8.09 The Piggyback
- — 375 ml bourbon, such as Tuthilltown's Baby Bourbon
- — 2 slices smoky bacon, cooked to render 3/4 ounce of fat
Decant the bourbon into a large glass jar with a wide mouth.
Fry the bacon in a skillet to render the fat. (Scarfing the bacon down is de rigueur!)
Once it’s cooled a bit, strain the fat into the jar of bourbon.
Let it sit out for about 6 hours and then put it in the freezer.
Once the fat is completely hardened, scoop it all out with a slotted spoon.
Apple Cider Syrup
- — 2 cups organic apple cider
- — 1 tablespoon brown sugar (like dark muscovado)
- — 1 tablespoon maple syrup, grade B preferred
- — 1-2 star anise
Combine ingredients in a small saucepan and keep at a strong simmer until liquid has reduced to 2/3 cup. Strain out the star anise.
- — 2 ounces bacon-infused bourbon
- — 1 1/2 ounces cider syrup
- — 1 ounce lemon juice
Into a cocktail shaker with ice, pour bourbon, syrup and lemon juice and shake. Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice. You can double the ingredients and shake two at a time if you’re not drinking alone.