7.5.09 I Scream, You Scream
Triple Threat Chocolate Cookies
Makes about 16 (enough for 8 oversized ice cream sandwiches)
- — 6 ounces (1 cup) semisweet chocolate chips
- — 3 large eggs
- — 5 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- — 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- — 1/4 teaspoon salt
- — 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- — 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons all purpose flour
- — 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- — 10 ounces chocolate bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- — 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Stir chopped chocolate in top of double boiler set over simmering water until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and water and cool 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into medium bowl. With electric mixer, beat sugar and butter in another medium bowl until crumbly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until mixture is light and creamy (about 5 min). Add cooled chocolate and vanilla and beat just until blended. Fold in dry ingredients, then chocolate chips.
Drop chocolate cookie batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto baking sheets, spacing 2” apart. Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until tops are evenly cracked but cookies are not yet firm to touch (about 16 min). Cool cookies completely on baking sheets. Using metal spatula, carefully transfer 4 cookies to each of 4 large resealable plastic bags, arranging in single layer. Freeze cookies overnight. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Keep frozen.)