4.15.10 Better Than Bubbe's
Chicken Liver Paté, Tuscan-Style
- — 1 pound organic chicken livers
- — 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- — 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- — 2 large shallots, thinly sliced (sweet onion is OK)
- — 1 large clove garlic, smashed
- — 3 anchovy fillets (or 1 tablespoon anchovy paste)
- — 1 tablespoon capers, minces (rinsed well if salted)
- — 4-6 sage leaves
- — 2/3 cup dry white wine
- — scant teaspoon lemon zest
- — 1/2 cup parmesan, grated
- — grilled country bread slices, for serving
- — sage leaves, for garnish
Trim any sinews from the livers and dry well with paper towels.
In a large skillet, melt the butter and olive oil over medium-high heat. Sautee the shallots, garlic, anchovy, capers and sage until shallots are lightly browned, 6 minutes or so.
Season the chicken livers with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Cook over high heat until browned, then add half the white wine (1/3 cup) and keep stirring with a wooden spoon, breaking up the livers as they start to cook through. When the wine is absorbed, add the second 1/3 cup of wine and repeat the process.
Remove from heat, cool slightly and transfer to a food processor. Process until quite smooth, then add lemon zest and cheese and process again. Taste and add salt or pepper as desired.
Serve warm or at room temperature, spread on grilled country bread and garnished with fresh or fried sage leaves.