7.19.13 Oh, Your Daddy's Rich...
Don't got no lovage? Try infusing the simple syrup with a combination of celery leaves and stalks instead. The rest is just fresh lemon juice, Hendrick's gin, celery bitters and plenty of ice. A couple of these and the living will, indeed, be easy.
Lovage You Long Time
- — 2 parts gin, preferably Hendrick's
- — 1 part fresh lemon juice
- — 1 part lovage syrup (see recipe)
- — 1-2 dashes celery bitters
Shake gin, lemon juice and lovage syrup with ice and strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice.
- — 2 cups organic cane sugar
- — 2 cups water
- — 2 cups lovage leaves and stems, packed; if you can't find lovage, try using an equivalent amount of combined celery leaves and stalks
In a small, heavy saucepan, combine water and sugar over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until sugar has completely dissolved. Remove from heat, stir in lovage and cover.
Allow to steep for several hours; check after 3 hours to see if syrup's flavor has the intensity you like. If not, steep longer. This depends on your taste and on how strong the leaves taste, but it can be left for up to 12 hours at room temp.