8.30.09 Got Tomatoes?
Warm & Spicy Indian Tomatoes
- — 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- — 4 scallions, sliced thin
- — 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- — 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- — 3/4 teaspoon ground tumeric (a fantastic anti-inflamatory)
- — 4 galic cloves, minced
- — 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- — 6 large ripe red tomatoes
- — 1 teaspoon sugar
- — 1/4 cup cup grated unsweetened coconut
- — 1/2 cup plain yoghurt
- — 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- — coarse sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
Melt butter in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
Add the scallions, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, turmeric, garlic and jalapeno. Stir for 30 seconds.
Add the tomatoes and stir gently with a wooden spoon until heated through, 2-3 minutes. Remove the pan from heat.
Combine the sugar, coconut and yoghurt in a small bowl and pour over the tomatoes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper, add the cilantro and fold everything together.